We Are Experienced In Anxiety Treatment
As a practice, Elevated Well-being are experienced in providing therapy for anxiety disorders in Newcastle.
Our mental health professionals are highly trained and use personalised, science-based therapy ensuring you get the best treatment possible for the following forms of anxiety:
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is the most common mental health concern in Australia, approximately one quarter of Australian’s will experience anxiety at some stage in their life.
Everybody experiences worry or nervousness throughout their life, particularly when there is a big event coming up. Such as starting a new job, public speaking, going on a date, being in a grand-final or meeting the in-laws for the first time. Having some anxiety is helpful and a natural, healthy response to stressful situations as it gives us energy and focus for the event.
However, for a lot of people anxiety can become persistent and all-consuming and make us over-analyze or catastrophize situations. While having some worry or anxiety is helpful, when anxiety interferes with a person’s life or wellbeing, causes distress, or takes away from someone’s quality of life it may be an anxiety disorder.
Signs & Symptoms Of Anxiety
Each form of anxiety has unique features and signs however some of the most common symptoms of anxiety are:
Physical symptoms: Panic attacks, feeling your heart racing or skipping a beat, breathing fast or feeling breathless, tightness in your muscles or chest, feeling hot and sweaty and feeling shaky.
Cognitive symptoms: Noticing that your avoiding situations or places, your mind often thinking of worst-case scenarios, assuming others are thinking negatively of you or obsessive thinking.
We Offer A Range Of Evidence-Based Techniques To Help Reduce The Symptoms Of Anxiety Disorders
• CBT– focuses on the role of our thoughts and beliefs and how we act due to these in determining how we feel and our general well-being. Therapy focuses on helping people to understand how their thoughts, feelings and behaviours are connected, so that they can begin to think, feel, and behave in more helpful ways.
• Counselling and support – we give you a safe, nurturing space to explore your anxiety and confront your fears.
• Exposure Therapy– is where you work together with the mental health professional to gradually build up the intensity and frequency of exposure to what we fear. We recognise that this is difficult for any person suffering from a phobia and treatment is always conducted in a compassionate, caring and safe manner.
• ACT– Acceptance and Commitment Therapy – encourages people to embrace their thoughts and feelings rather than fighting or feeling guilty for them. We help you accept what is out of your personal control and commit to action that improves and enriches your life.
• Motivational Interviewing– is a collaborative counselling approach aimed at giving you the motivation and mindset to change unhealthy thoughts or behaviour.
• Relaxation and mindfulness strategies – Are scientifically proven relaxation techniques that counter the stress response with mental training practices that teach you to slow down racing thoughts, let go of negativity, and improve well-being
• EMDR therapy – Facilitates the accessing and processing of traumatic memories and other adverse life experience through a combination of briefly focussing on the trauma memory while simultaneously experiencing bilateral stimulation (typically eye movements).
• Psycho-education – is a therapeutic intervention for people that provides information and support to better understand and cope with what is happening for them.